In order to enhance research and education activities in the framework of Marine and Environmental Bio(tecno)logy and to facilitate the dissemination of scientific knowledge on it, in July 23rd 2007, the Vice-rector of the Campus of Bizkaia of the UPV/EHU declared the interest of the University of the Basque Country to support the project “Plentziako Itsas Estazioa /Estación Marina de Plentzia” (PiE-UPV/EHU). Concretely, the interest to launch a service of experimentation in marine Biology was recognised: PiE-UPV/EHU provides the possibility to handle great volumes of seawater, which allows the accomplishment of experiments otherwise unthinkable but necessary for consolidated research groups of excellence. Remarkable mention is made to the inclusion in the project of a permanent seminar of environmental education including postgraduate formation (international official masters of quality), congresses, university specialist courses, dissemination activities, etc.; which, together with research.
The PiE-UPV/EHU marine station was considered of great strategic interest for the UPV/EHU and for the technological agents of the Basque Country wotking in Marine and Environmental Bio(tecno)logy. The PiE-UPV/EHU will settle at the front line of research and university education at international level.
Thanks to the support provided by institutions such us: Bizkaia Province Government, Bilbao Bizkaia Kutxa, City council of Plentzia, UPV/EHU, Delegation of Coasts and the Basque Government, the project begins to embody and becomes into today’s reality.
The Sanatorium of Plentzia
The building that host the Plentzia Marine Station was constructed by 1923, when the former Caja de Ahorros Vizcaína turned it a heliotherapy sanatorium for bone tuberculosis patients. During decades it was owned by a bank (BBK, now Kutxabank). The financial entity granted the building to the City council of Plentzia that finally transfered it to the UPV/EHU. The investment carried out for remodeling, conditioning and equipment of the building was financed almost in its totality by the Province Government of Bizkaia.
Inauguration day: 07/17/2012