Doctoral Programme in Language Acquisition in Multilingual Settings
Admission and registration
General access requirements to the doctorate
Generally, Royal Decree 99/2011 establishes that to gain access to a doctoral program applicants must hold official Spanish bachelor's and master's degree qualifications, provided that they have completed at least 300 ECTS credits in all their university studies, at least 60 of which must be at master's degree level.
In cases in which the master's qualification has been obtained at a foreign university, access must be approved by the Postgraduate Commission of the UPV/EHU.
Similarly, any of the following applicants may apply for doctoral programs:
- Holders of bachelor's degrees in Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry, without the need to study a master's degree (1).
- Graduates, Higher Engineers and Architects.
- Graduates who have successfully completed at least two years of training on a program to obtain an official qualification in any of the specialities of Health Sciences.
- Holders of a foreign university qualification, subject to verification that the level of education achieved is equivalent to a master's degree and that it grants access to doctoral studies in the issuing country. On no account will this admission imply the official recognition of the prior qualification or its recognition for any purposes other than to apply for access to doctoral teaching.
- Holders of Diplomas of Advanced Studies (Royal Decree 778/1998) or proficiency in academic research (Royal Decree 185/1985).
- Holders of other Spanish doctoral qualifications awarded under previous university regulations.
(1) Bachelor's Degrees in Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry from the UPV/EHU and other universities which recognise the master's degree level (level 3 of MECES).
Note: These requirements are of an exclusively informative and non-legal nature and therefore may not be used as the basis for any appeal.
Profile for admission
1.) Students need to hold an official university Master's Degree or any other equivalent degree (related to the LAMS fields of research) issued by an institution of higher education. The grades obtained in the master will be considered.
2.) English proficiency: A certificate at least equivalent to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The percentage of each of these criteria will be 75% and 25% respectively.
There is no need for any specific additional training.
Criteria for admission to the program
There is no additional admission criteria (see admission profile).
- Full time places:
- Part time places:
Students with specific needs
Aspirants to the doctoral program with special educational needs arising from disabilities should initially address the coordinator of the Doctoral Program to inform him or her.
They should also contact the Care Service for People with Disabilities, through the channels established on the website indicated, so that it can solve the specific needs of each candidate, offering information, advice and guidance. To do this, candidates for the Doctoral Program should complete an application form with their specific needs.
This service currently provides care units on the campuses in Araba, Bizkaia and Gipuzkoa. Similarly, the UPV/EHU has a guide for care for students with stabilities.
At the UPV/EHU students may carry out part-time doctoral studies. Any such studies can have a maximum duration of five years from the student's admission to the programme to the presentation of their Doctoral Thesis. In the event that the thesis deposit application has not been submitted when this five-year period has elapsed, the Academic Committee for the Doctoral Programme may authorise this period to be extended by two additional years, and in exceptional cases, it can be extended by a further year, under the conditions established in the relevant Doctoral Programme.
Admission as a part-time student must be assessed and authorized by the Academic Committee for the corresponding Doctoral Programme.