The University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) is the public university of the Autonomous Region of the Basque Country. It was founded in 1968 as the "University of Bilbao" and was later reorganised under its current name in 1980.
The University of the Basque Country is an integrated, open public education institution that focuses its efforts on providing society with a high-quality service in the field of innovation and knowledge, and which has a clear international outlook, as evident in its motto: "eman ta zabal zazu" (give and spread). In 2010, it was awarded the title "Campus of International Excellence" Euskampus by the Spanish Ministry of Education. Deeply rooted in Basque history and culture, the university is a bilingual community, just as Basque society is a bilingual society. The Basque language, Euskera, is the only pre Indo-European language that is still alive today in Europe, and has been a hallmark of the Basque people from time immemorial. Undergraduate degrees are mainly taught in either Spanish or Basque, although some individual subjects are taught in other languages such as English and French. At postgraduate level, a number of Master's degrees are taught entirely in English. As part of its focus on internationalisation, the university has also set up a "Network of Master's and Doctoral Degrees in Latin America". At the moment, this network comprises fifteen universities, all located in Latin America. The network offers a range of Master's and PhD courses in Law, Economics, Philosophy, Computer Science and Psychopedagogy. All courses are official degrees and have been subjected to various quality assessments both by the university itself and the Spanish Ministry of Education and the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (ANECA). The degrees are taught in their entirety at each of the universities in the network.
With a total of 32 colleges and faculties distributed over three campuses, the University of the Basque Country offers a wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in all areas of knowledge, ranging from engineering, economics and architecture to humanities, health sciences and art. The university uses the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), which ensures that its qualifications are recognised and accepted in any European university. The system is also widely recognised outside of Europe.
Postgraduate studies constitute the highest level of specialisation offered within the university field. The University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) offers nearly one hundred Master's degree courses.
Since 1997, the faculty from our university has been teaching Master's degrees and doctoral programmes and supervising theses in Latin America, as part of a specific international outreach and collaboration initiative. 15 universities from 13 different countries have signed an agreement with the UPV/EHU to set up the "Network of Master's and Doctoral degrees in Latin America" (Universities which make up the Network).
To date, over five hundred PhD students have enrolled in areas such as Law, Economics, Education, Philosophy, Computer Science and Language Policy. Of these, over 70 have already successfully defended their theses.
The University of the Basque Country has a general programme of grants for helping students who wish to enrol in a Master's course at the UPV/EHU, with an allocation of 4,500 euros.
It also offers financial aid to PhD students enrolled in UPV/EHU Doctoral Programmes. The grants enable them to visit the university in person in order to meet their doctoral supervisors face to face. Grants are designed to cover travel and living costs for sojourns of between one and three months.
For further information:
Along with our university, the different universities that make up this Network constitute a true academic community of the highest standard which meets periodically (once every two years) at an International Conference which offers the ideal opportunity to come together and exchange information and knowledge and to present the latest breakthroughs made by PhD students in their research. During the initial years of this network, which have focused mainly on consolidation and development, more than 1,000 Latin American students have enrolled on UPV/EHU courses.
The conferences have a number of basic objectives:
- To assess and consolidate the research areas of the different doctoral programmes run in Latin America, analysing the principal problems and challenges posed by globalisation from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- To provide a regular event at which faculty currently working at the different universities in the network can come together and share ideas.
- To encourage enriching encounters between PhD students, in order to foster interdisciplinary doctoral research exchanges.
- To establish instruments for sharing information and knowledge, thus providing researchers with optimum access to the resources of all universities in the network.
Five conferences have been held to date:
- 1st International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology and Pedagogy in a Global World", held at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (29-31 October, 2008).
- 2nd International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology and Education in a Global World", held at the San Antonio Abad del Cusco University (4-7 November, 2009).
- 3rd International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology and Education in a Global World", held at the Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo University (22-25 November 2011), in which all the universities that made up the network at that moment signed a Declaration of Principles.
- 4th International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Education and Computer Science in a Global World: thoughts on how to transform society", held at the Rafael Landivar University in Guatemala City, Guatemala, from 22 to 25 October 2013.
- 5th International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology and Education in a Global World" held at the Federal Do Rio Grande Do Norte University in Natal, Brazil, from 20 to 23 October 2015.
- 6th International Conference "Law, Philosophy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology and Education in a Global World" will be held at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo and Instituto Global de Altos Estudios en Ciencias Sociales (IGLOBAL), in Santo Domingo , from 7 to 10 November 2017.
- 7th International Conference "Derecho, Filosofía, Economía, Sociología, Psicología, Educación, Políticas Lingüísticas e Ingeniería en un Mundo Global" “Mujer y equidad de género: llegar para transformar” que se celebrará en la Universidad de Aconcagua (UAC), Machalí (Chile), del 19 al 22 de noviembre de 2019.