Tuesday, March 31st, 12:00pm,
Genoveva Martí (ICREA & Univ. Barcelona)
General terms and rigidity, I
Extending the notion of rigidity from singular terms to general terms has proven rather difficult as no proposal seems to satisfy all of the basic desiderata that a coherent application of the notion of rigidity to general terms should satisfy, or so it is argued. In this session we will discuss different approaches to the characterization of rigidity for general terms and their shortcomings.
- Devitt, Michael: ‘Rigid Application'. Philosophical Studies, 2005:139-165.
- Donnellan, Keith (1983): Kripke and Putnam on Natural Kind Terms, in C. Ginet and S. Shoemaker, Knowledge and Mind, Oxford University Press.
- Gómez Torrente, Mario: ‘Rigidity and Essentiality'. Mind, 2006: 227-259.
- Laporte, Joseph (2000): Rigidity and Kind, Philosophical Studies, 97 (3), pp. 293-316.
- López de Sa, Dan (2006): Flexible Property Designators, Grazer Philosophische Studien, 73.
- Martí, Genoveva (2004): Rigidity and General Terms. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society.
- Salmon, Nathan (2003): Naming, Necessity and Beyond, Mind, 112, pp. 475-492.
- Soames, Scott (2002): Beyond Rigidity, Oxford University Press.