If you already have a good level of English (level B2 or higher) and would like to improve those aspects of oral and written English that are specific to the language used in research environments, this may be the course for you.
You will learn to improve the structure and style of your abstracts, your research papers, oral presentations as well as your communications with the scientific community in general. All this requires some formal and stylistic conventions that are often overlooked in more general English courses. The course is very practical and hands-on. Come and join us!
- Routine communication: Letters and E-mail writing: Style and formal conventions. Preparing an academic CV.
- Writing an abstract: Structure and style. Clarity, accuracy, simplicity
- Writing a paper: Style and format. Scientific writing. The order of paragraphs, being clear and concise. Structuring the discourse. Sentence length. Emphasis. Words commonly confused.
- Preparing and giving an oral presentation. Talking to an audience. Transition phrases. Frequently mispronounced words.
- Autonomous language-learning strategies: using dictionaries effectively, finding native speakers’ models
- Abstract-writing (25%)
- Short paper (25%)
- Oral presentation related to the student’s field (25%)
- Participation in class (25%)
- Progress Certificate
Attendance requierement in order to pass the course: at least de 80% of the sessions
- Fees: 120€
- Ehu-Ikasle insurance fee: 4€ (If you are already registered as a student on another course or complementary course in 2020-2021, you are exempt from this insurance fee)
- Aimed at: Researchers and future researchers
- Dates: From October to December 2020
- Timetable: Monday from 15:00 to 17:00
- 2 ECTS credits
- Course description
- Limited spaces!
- Click here to book your place and register: until the 25th of September.