Seventeen members constitute the staff of the Department of Stratigraphy and Paleontology at the Faculty of Science and Technology.
We deal with different geological specialities, such as Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Petroleum Geology, Micropaleontology, Vertebrate Paleontology, Biostratigraphy, etc., most of which are very interesting from the viewpoint of exploring and prospecting energy resources (oil, gas, etc.) and underground aquifers, exploitation of materials for cement and aggregate factories, fundamental geological and paleontological studies, etc.
- General services
- Specific services
- Some customers
- Micropaleontological studies to prospect and exploit natural resources, design civil works, assist in land management, etc.
- Geological and stratigraphic studies to understand the formation of hydrocarbons in the Basque-Cantabrian Basin and improve exploratory campaigns.
- Coastal management consultancy, including environmental mapping, sedimentological sampling and analyses, etc.
- Fundamental and applied geological, stratigraphic and sedimentological studies in the Basque-Cantabrian area.
- Theoretical and practical training in geological and biological studies.
- Technical consultancy on geological and paleontological heritage.
- Cultural projects to provide information about the geological heritage.
- Micropaleontological analyses.
- Geochemical analyses in biogenic carbonates.
- Microscopic studies of sedimentary rocks (biomicrofacies).
- Scanning Electron Microscopy: micromorphological analyses.
- CaCO3 Content (%) of rocks
- Cathodoluminiscece analyses.
- Petrological studies.
- Tectonic studies.
- Interpretation of sedimentary facies.
- Controls on mineralization of Urgonian successions.
- Usefulness of planktonic foraminifers in exploring and exploiting energy resources (oil and gas prospecting, etc.).
- Planktonic foraminiferal studies for geological mapping.
- Evaluating and spreading the geological and paleontological heritage.
- Microscopy equipment.
- TOC analyser.
- ELM Luminiscope.
- Polarization microscopes.
- Scanning Electron Microscope.
- Stereoscopic microscopes equipped with microphotographic systems.
- Basque Energy Board (EVE)
- REPSOL EXPLORACIÓN, S.A.
- Basque Hydrocarbon Corporation
- The Geological and Mining Institute of Spain (IGME)
- Basque Government (Environmental Affairs)
- TOTAL S.A.
- Provincial Government of Biscay