The health alert situation for the COVID-19 pandemic has forced the confinement of the population in order to limit the mobility of people as much as possible. This is a measure that in many countries like ours is very exceptional, unaware of the effects it can have on the health and well-being of the population. However, we do know the importance of material and living conditions in health: aspects such as the characteristics of our homes, income level or job expectations have a very important impact on well-being. In addition, health levels and major health determinants worsen as people’s socio-economic status declines. Social inequalities in health are a clear reflection of the social and material inequality of our societies.
From here, from the Research Group on Social Determinants of Health and Demographic Change - OPIK (UPV/EHU), with the collaboration of Bidegintza - Cooperative for Human Promotion and Community Development and the Centre d'Investigació en Salut Laboral, CiSAL (UPF), we have designed a study to learn how confinement may be affecting the health and well-being of our children and that of parents and how the living conditions of families can determine how we are living.
As a preliminary to the investigation into the impact of confinement on the well-being and health of girls, a study was conducted with health and socio-educational professionals working with children, to hear their views on the effects of containment on this population group and to identify the dimensions that they considered important in modulating these effects, so that their answers could guide the design of the final questionnaire to the confined families.
Scientific publications of the study:
- González-Rábago Y, Cabezas-Rodríguez A, Martín U. Social Inequalities in Health Determinants in Spanish Children during the COVID-19 Lockdown. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2021;18(8):4087.
- Valero Alzaga E, Martín Roncero U, Domínguez-Rodríguez A, Grupo Confisalud. Covid-19 y salud infantil: el confinamiento y su impacto según profesionales de la infancia. Rev Esp Salud Pública. 2020; 94: 27 de julio e202007064
Media appearance and publications:
Articles in the newspapers:
- Diario de Noticias de Navarra, 25/04/2020
- El Correo, 23/04/2020
- Naiz, 21/04/2020
- Agencia Sinc, 20/04/2020
- Argia, 17/04/2020
- Público, 16/04/2020
- El País, 16/04/2020
- Sputnik Mundo, 16/04/2020
- Público, 15/04/2020
- Euskadi Irratia. Baipasa. 06/05/2021. 2:10
- Radio Euskadi. Crónica de Euskadi, 26/04/2020 08:30
- Euskadi Irratia. Goiz Kronika Asteburua, 25/04/2020
- Radio Aragón. Despierta Aragón, 24/04/2020
- Radio Nacional de España. Las mañanas de RNE, 22/04/2020
- Naiz Irratia. Haria, 21/04/2020
- Cope Euskadi. Herrera en Cope, 20/04/2020 10:13
- Onda Cero. Más de uno Euskadi, 17/04/2020 03:36
- Ser. Programa La Ventana, 15/04/2020 02:00
- Radio Bilbao. Hora 14, 08/04/2020 16:29
- Antena 3. Noticias, 22/04/2020; 00:55
- RTVE. Telediario, 21/04/2020; 2:27
- Eitb. Egun on Euskadi, 17/04/2020
- Eitb. Teleberri (castellano), 16/04/2020
- Eitb. Teleberri (euskara), 16/04/2020