- Air conditioning system in the Animal Unit to ensure suitable conditions for the upkeep of research animals.
- Quarantine area.
- Experimentation area for non-infectious animals divided into four sectors: rats, mice, amphibians and lagomorphs.
- Treatment and experimental work area equipped with inhalatory anaesthetic equipment.
1. Distribution of installations
The installations consist of three zones:
- Maintenance zone: two rooms, one set aside for rats and another for mice,
- Experimentation zone: two laboratories (Psychobiology Laboratory and Animal Learning Laboratory) with ten cabins.
- Service area: reception and handling of animals, warehouse, washing and disinfecting, administration and management, changing room, toilet and showers.
2. Existing equipment and facilities
- Air conditioning system.
- 7 racks of fully-equipped mouse cages, each with a capacity of 20 units.
- 2 racks of mouse cages with a capacity of 18 units each, only one of which is fully-equipped.
- 5 racks of fully-equipped mouse cages, each with a capacity of 60 units.
- 2 racks of fully-equipped mouse cages, each with a capacity of 48 units.
- 2 racks of fully-equipped mouse cages, each with a capacity of 42 units.
- Small material: 1 CO2euthanasia chamber, 1 refrigerator-freezer, 1 bottle washer, 3 trolleys.
3. Register of animals
In compliance with Royal Decree 223/88 (published in Official Gazette dated 18-3-1998), only those animals from authorised centres may be admitted to the Animal Unit.
Animals must be received by personnel from the Animal Unit, examined, and suitably stalled in the quarantine area and then subsequently housed in the places set aside for such purpose. If any animals should happen to arrive outside service hours, they will be housed in the quarantine area by the person in charge of reception.
Personnel from the Animal Unit will record the entry of animals and document their origin, filing the relevant delivery note.