Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are Continuing Training Courses?

They are courses for updating, specialisation, recycling and expansion of knowledge aimed at supplementary and continuing education of students.

2. How many credits do the Continuing Training Courses have?

These courses have a maximum duration of 20 ECTS credits, and the calendar will be that reflected in the teaching proposal.

3. Who can present proposals for Continuing Training Courses?

The proposing bodies are the Rector, the competent Vice-rectorates according to the subject at hand, the Teaching Centres (own and affiliated), the University Departments and Institutes (own, combined and affiliated).

4. What is the body responsible for approving these proposals?

Continuing Training Courses, which do not exceed 10 credits, will be given with the approval of the relevant Committee. This body will send a quarterly report to the Social Council of courses authorised, for the purpose of validating their prices, which may not exceed €200.00/credit.

Courses exceeding 10 ECTS credits and/or whose enrolment exceeds €200/credit, previously approved by the relevant Committee, will be sent to the Social Council with enough time to approve prices before they are given.

5. What documentation must be submitted with the teaching proposal?

The original proposal, which must be signed by the Director of the Proposing Body.

Also, the original of the agreement of the body conducting the Academic Direction.

If the course is held at a University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) Centre, the agreement of the Centre Management must also be attached, in sole regard to the use of premises.

6. What are the entry requirements for these courses?

Entry requirements are defined in the teaching proposal.

7. Is there a minimum number of students for these courses?

Yes. There is a minimum of 5 students, except in the case of modules of Own Degrees or Official Master's Degrees study plans, which are given as continuing education or courses, whose minimum will be set in the corresponding proposal.

8. Can you obtain an Own Degree or Master's Degree by studying modules given as Continuing Training Courses one by one?

No. However, modules passed by this procedure for obtaining a corresponding own degree may be recognised or validated up to a maximum of 30% of the credits in the Curriculum.

9. Is it necessary to create an Academic Committee for these courses?

No, the Continuing Training Courses will not present a proposal for an Academic Committee, although it will always be necessary to appoint an Academic Director, who must be a member of the UPV/EHU staff.

10. How is student enrolment managed?

Student enrolment will be entirely managed by the proposing body and will be conducted in the place and in the manner established by the person who organises the teaching. The students will deposit the corresponding cost of enrolment in the account of the Organisational Unit established.

After completing enrolment, the academic director will request the allocation of revenue from the accounting service. A sum of 12% will be deducted from the total enrolment revenue, 10% of which corresponds to general University expenses, while the remaining 2% is destined to the Postgraduate and Continuous Training Unit (UEP and FC).

11. Is the course's final report mandatory?

Yes, always. The organisation of a course implies a proposal and the final explanatory report, both available in a standard downloadable model in Basque and Spanish on the website.

The final report, which will be forwarded to the Own Degree Courses Unit, will also be a prerequisite for future editions and for the corresponding payments for teaching.

12. What is the salary for teachers on these courses?

The price per hour of teaching will be as established in the teaching proposal. UPV/EHU professors may receive revenue under Continuing Training Courses for credits that exceed their full-time teaching schedule and hours of official instruction actually taught.

However, amounts paid to professors who have not fulfilled their full-time teaching schedule, will be limited to two-thirds until they complete their regulatory or contractual teaching assignment.

In Continuing Training Courses that are part of the study plan of an official Master's Degree, there will be no remuneration to University teachers, since it is a part of the teaching assignment.

13. How will payments be made to UPV/EHU teachers?

Payments to UPV/EHU staff, resulting from collaboration in giving the course and administrative management, will be made through payroll according to the specific regulations in force.

Initially, there will be no withholding on amounts paid to teachers of the UPV/EHU for participation in Continuing Training Courses at the University during the academic year.

At the end of the academic year, there will be a provisional total liquidation, taking into account teaching given in the body of teaching specific to the University and, contrasted, if applicable, to the teaching clearance in the corresponding course. This liquidation will result in the payment or retention of amounts due.

Each of the persons affected by the provisional total liquidation will be notified, so that they may claim, if applicable, what they deem appropriate in a period of 10 days. After this period, without prior written statement or having resolved those submitted, the liquidation will bear final.

14. What is the form of payment for teachers outside the UPV/EHU?

Payments to teaching staff outside the UPV/EHU will be made by applying income tax withholding in effect at that time.

15. Is there some sort of degree or certificate issued upon course completion?

Regular attendance in Continuing Training Courses and seminars will lead to a Certificate of Attendance. If these studies include an evaluation procedure, a Certificate of Achievement will be issued for those who pass the course.

These certificates will be issued by the Directorate of the Postgraduate and Continuing Education Studies Unit, where they may be co-issued along with participating agencies or institutions to maintain records in these Directorates.

Issuance of certificates by the UPV/EHU will entail payment of fees approved by the Social Council for each academic year.

16. Can collaboration agreements be signed with companies or institutions?

Yes. Agreements can be sign for student internships, funding, use of premises and anything else deemed appropriate.

These agreements must conform to the content of the models established for this purpose, and those funding and/or using premises must be submitted together with the course's teaching proposal.

It is up to the relevant Committee to approve such agreements. Once authorised, they shall be signed by the representative of the body or university structure proposing the studies, although exceptionally, through the same body, the signing of the agreement may be authorised by the professor responsible for the degree.