The Active Ageing Index (AAI) is a measurement tool to compare countries regarding the older people's potential to have an active and healthy ageing. The index measures the level of independent living of older people, their participation in paid employment and social activities, as well as their capacity to actively age. It comprises 22 indicators grouped into four domains: employment, social participation, independent and secure living, and capacity for a healthy ageing.
The Government of Biscay, through the Directorate-General for Personal Autonomy Promotion, within its task of promoting an active ageing of the older population, has been integrated in the European strategy on this subject, backing the measuring of the situation of the older population in Biscay through the AAI. The Research Group in Social Determinants of Health and Demographic Change – OPIK has calculated and analysed the index for the Historical Territory of Biscay comparing it with those of the European Union countries, offering a diagnosis of the situation of the older population in Biscay and identifying possible deficiencies in the development of an active ageing.
During the first phase of the project the index was measured for the period 2012-2014 and a second measurement is planned for 2016.
These are some of the publications of the project:
- Presentation “Modes of actively ageing: changes along time and socioeconomic inequalities in Active Ageing Index in the region of Biscay (Spain)”. IAGG-ER 2019 International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics European Region Congress 23-25 Mayo 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Presentation “Ageing of elderly in Biscay: Active Ageing Index as a tool to monitor”. ICIC19 – 19th International Conference on Integrated Care 1-3 Abril 2019, Donostia-San Sebastian.
- Presentation “Social inequalities in Active Ageing in the region of Biscay: Does education play a role?". Second Seminar on the Active Ageing Index 27-28 September 2018, Bilbao.
- González-Rábago Y, Martín U, Bacigalupe A, Murillo S. Índice de envejecimiento activo en Bizkaia: análisis de los resultados de 2012 –2014, resultados de 2016 y evolución. OPIK-Working papers/Lan koadernoak 4; 2018.
- González-Rábago Y, Martín U, Bacigalupe A, Murillo S. Envejecimiento activo en Bizkaia: situación comparada en el contexto europeo (pdf, 221 Kb). Zerbitzuan, 2015; 59:145-159
- Bacigalupe A, González-Rábago Y, Martín U, Murillo S, Unceta A. The Active Ageing Index in a Southern European region (Biscay): main results and potentials for policymaking. En Zaidi A. et al. Building Evidence for Active Ageing Policies. Active Ageing Index and its Potential. 2018; 97-115. London: Palgrave McMillan.
- Presentation "The Active Aging Index in a southern European region (Biscay): main results and potencials for policymaking". International Seminar of Active Ageing Index 16–17 Abril 2015, Brussels.
In addition, an online tool has been designed that allows the visualization of data easily and dynamic. You can access here.