1. Who can gain access to a doctoral program?

Generally speaking, Royal Decree 99/2011 states that for access to a doctoral program it will be necessary to hold an official Spanish bachelor's and master's degree, provided that at least 300 ECTS (of which at least 60 credits must be at master level) credits have been obtained throughout the whole of this education.

Similarly, bachelor's degrees in Medicine, Pharmacy,  Dentistry and Architecture provide access without the need for a master's degree.

As a special case not envisaged in the above paragraphs, the UPV/EHU also gives access to Grades and qualifications in Higher Engineering and Architecture.

Other specific situations:

  • If you have obtained the master's degree from a foreign university access, outside the EHEA (European Higher Education Area), must be approved by the Postgraduate Committee of the UPV/EHU. In this case, in the application for pre-enrolment you must enter through the "Foreign qualification with access to the doctorate" option. Read the documentation that you must submit if this is the case.
  • If you are waiting to finish your master's degree at the UPV/EHU you can also pre-enrol, but remember that you have to have passed your master's degree at the time of the enrolment.
  • Master's degrees do NOT provide access to doctorates.
  • If you have a Doctor's qualification you can access the doctorate.
  • If you hold a foreign qualification which is not a master's degree but which provides access to a doctorate in the country where you obtained it, you can also access the doctoral programs of the UPV/EHU. On no account will this imply the homologation of the qualification, nor its recognition for other purposes.

For more information or to check other possible situations:

• Link to Spanish Royal Decree 99/11
• Link to the Regulations governing the Management of Doctoral Education