- Definition: Connection to the Universidad del País Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU) data network and to the Internet via mobile devices.
- Target audience: Students, teaching, research and administration staff, members of other groups (Besteak) at the UPV/EHU and of other institutions which are part of the eduroam programme, in possession of suitable credentials at their home institution.
- Application: n/a
- Access to the service: In WiFi zones in the University it is possible to connect to the eduroam network, with access which is both personalised (requiring authentication) and secure as data are sent encrypted.
- Brief description: The UPV/EHU WiFi service offers wireless connectivity in public and private areas of the University, allowing access to both the corporate data network and the Internet via compatible mobile devices.
- Languages in which the service is provided: Basque, Spanish and English.
- Party responsible for the service: Vice-rectorate for ICT.
- Accessible via Internet: n/a
- Authentication: Through corporate credentials of the UPV/EHU (identifier/password).
- Authorised by: n/a
- Having corporate credentials of the UPV/EHU (identifier/password)
- Having a device which meets the technical requirements (in Spanish)
Conditions and limitations of the service
The service is offered through access points (AP) deployed in the areas in which the service is available. APs have one or more aerials through which they communicate with mobile devices.
The APs have a limited range and capacity. This means that depending on the number of users connected and the use they make of the network the service may be temporarily impaired.
Moreover, the electromagnetic spectrum is subject to many factors which can affect the signal, and therefore the service, directly. These factors range from surrounding fixtures (doors, walls, furniture, etc.) which weaken the signal, or other elements transmitting on the same channels (pirate APs, printers or devices with WiFi capability) and cause interference, to other devices which impair the source signal and prevent communications (microwave ovens, research equipment, etc.). The WiFi service is not therefore intended for critical environments or those in which a minimum availability is required.
The same precautions must be taken as with any other devices which transmit and receive signals in the electromagnetic spectrum.
Policies on use
The maps show the WiFi Access Points (AP) on every floor of each building of the UPV/EHU and their theoretical coverage: